People often comment on the comfortable atmosphere of our Campbell’s Funeral Home. That’s not only because of the personal service we provide, but also the character of the building, its public and private spaces, and the generous welcome that is always provided here.
The history of the Campbell family businesses goes back more than 150 years in Sackville, NB.
Ronald Campbell came to the area from Cornwallis, NS, in 1823. At first he was employed at the Morice Mill in MIddle Sackville, but by 1851 he is listed in the census as a carriage maker. He and his son, George, began the Campbell Carriage Factory in 1854 and later opened a blacksmith shop.
The various products of the Factory included not only carriages, wagons and sleighs, but also furniture, picture frames and coffins. Records show they also sold hay, lumber, molasses, candles and yarn. It appears that they even did shoe repairs and may have even made boots. The Carriage Factory would later shut down (in 1949, at the end of the horse era) but the funeral business showed steady growth during the late 1800s.
In 1912, William Campbell (Ronald’s second son) left for Halifax where he assisted with embalming the bodies of Titanic victims. By 1932 the Campbells were attending to up to 40 funerals a year.
George Campbell and Sons Limited, one of the earliest established Funeral Directors in the Maritimes, expanded to Amherst in 1936 with the purchase of a funeral home there.
The current Campbell funeral home on Bridge Street was purchased by the family in 1964. William R. Campbell, George’s grandson, became a Funeral Director in 1970 and greatly expanded the facility in 1994. He was careful to ensure that the renovations, including the addition of the chapel, would blend in with the existing structure. Will passed away in 2000, and his daughter, Erin, carries on the family business to this day.